Citizens for a Livable Cranbrook Society provides grassroots leadership and an inclusive process, with a voice for all community members, to ensure that our community grows and develops in a way that incorporates an environmental ethic, offers a range of housing and transportation choices, encourages a vibrant and cultural life and supports sustainable, meaningful employment and business opportunities.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Cranbrook City Councillor Norma Blissett seeks the Kootenay East NDP Nomination

Norma Blissett opening the Under 16 Softball Ball BC
Provincial Championships
 in Cranbrook, Canada Day Weekend
Cranbrook City Councillor Norma Blissett seeks the Kootenay East NDP Nomination


Cranbrook City Councillor, Norma Blissett has thrown her hat in to the ring for the Kootenay East NDP nomination.  “ Running for the provincial NDP in 2013 and sitting on Cranbrook City Council  have provided me with the experience necessary to run a successful provincial election campaign in 2017” she said.

 “I knocked on over 2000 doors and spoke with hundreds of people over the course of the 2013 campaign.  Knowledge of the local people and local issues allowed me to successfully run for Cranbrook City Council. Since being elected I have increased my knowledge by attending numerous community events and meeting with a variety of community members.”

Blissett has lived in Cranbrook for over 20 years. She works as a science and math teacher at Mount Baker Secondary School. She was a forester before becoming a teacher and was employed by a group of East Kootenay forest companies to do forestry education in local schools. Blissett holds bachelors degrees in both forestry and education, as well as a masters degree in leadership and administration.
“I have a resource industry background. I am aware of the importance of resource industries-- forestry, mining and agriculture-- to our local economy and I will fight for resource industry jobs at the provincial level.”


 “Being employed as a high school teacher has given me an appreciation of the issues that impact Kootenay families. I am confronted daily with the concerns of youth--affordable postsecondary education, employment opportunities, and the environment. “

“I enjoy being on Cranbrook city council and teaching at Mount Baker, so it has been a difficult decision to run again provincially “ Blissett said. “A number of people within the NDP and the community at large have encouraged me to run. It is time to put the experience that I have gained from working in forestry, education and municipal government to good use.  I am very aware of how much hard work is required to run a provincial election campaign and I am up for the challenge.”


Blissett, a mother of three adult children, says that she has the time and the energy required to devote to provincial politics. “For the NDP to be successful in Kootenay East we need to provide a strong alternative to the BC Liberals. The residents need to know that they will be listened to and that their concerns will be advocated for at the provincial level.  The people of Cranbrook have seen from my work in the community and on city council that I will do my best to speak on their behalf. Now I must demonstrate this to the rest of the constituency.”  

Norma Blissett volunteering at Fort Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment