Citizens for a Livable Cranbrook Society provides grassroots leadership and an inclusive process, with a voice for all community members, to ensure that our community grows and develops in a way that incorporates an environmental ethic, offers a range of housing and transportation choices, encourages a vibrant and cultural life and supports sustainable, meaningful employment and business opportunities.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bob Whetham Will Run Again for Council

Press Release from Bob Whetham

Over the past several months a number of people have approached me and asked if I would run again for Council. I deferred making a decision while recovering from a heart attack earlier this year but now feel that I am ready and willing to say “Yes”.

Cranbrook has been my home since 1980 and the opportunities and quality of life that drew me and my wife Gretchen here initially have given me the resolve and commitment to continue to work for the betterment of our community. The past three years have not been easy ones but I believe that we are moving towards a more open and collaborative approach to conducting the City’s business.

Throughout my term I have advocated for and supported initiatives that put resident’s interests first. Among other things, Council changed its position on imposing an unfair tax on Pinecrest residents and agreed to replace failing water lines in that area. Another positive outcome was the decision to proceed with a neighbourhood plan for Slaterville. This was initiated following informal discussions with concerned residents. Less successful were attempts to ensure equal public access to a newly established park on the St. Mary River although an equitable solution may yet be achieved at some future date.

One thing I would like to address is my position on growth. There are people who would suggest that I am anti-growth but my real issue is not whether we grow but how. I believe our focus should be on growing our local economy; working to retain the jobs we have and creating new opportunities for jobs that will support families. The City’s recently completed Economic Development Strategy identifies a number of things we can do to enhance our economic position and this could be expanded to include wider regional participation.

If re-elected to Council, some of the other things I would like to accomplish over the next three years are:
- Change the way we make decisions. When we need voter consent - to borrow money for example – I would like to see us adopt procedures that allow more opportunity to work towards solutions before imposing polarized “win or lose” outcomes.


- Update the City’s Official Community Plan to provide a clear direction for development and to incorporate recommendations for sustainability developed through the public consultation process led by Cranbrook Connected.


- Work with the City of Kimberley and the RDEK to designate the Northstar Railtrail as part of the Trans Canada Trail network in order to take advantage of funding opportunities and Canada wide exposure.


With more than thirty years of public and private sector planning experience and a record of working constructively with diverse interests, I believe I can continue to bring a thoughtful and considered approach to Council decision making. I hope that residents will consider my record and allow me the opportunity to continue to serve our community.

2 comments:

  1. Council needs you Bob. You have been the voice of many citizens these past three years and your efforts are greatly appreciated. Take care Bob. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, we are truly grateful for your willingness to represent us on Council for another term. Hopefully you will have some like-minded newbie Councillors join you. Hopefully you won't be the "voice in the wilderness" that you've been this last term. Thank you, Bob. We are very appreciative.

    ReplyDelete